More than a song festival, "Laulupidu" is an Estonian miracle that at least twice in history gave freedom to that country. "To Breathe As One" explores the beauty and meaning of the choral festival through the eyes of the young members of the California-based Piedmont East Bay Children's Choir, one of the few American choirs invited to participate. Learning difficult songs — all in Estonian — the youngsters prepare for months and then set off to join the many thousands from around the world who gather every five years in Tallinn.
Forming cross-cultural friendships that span the oceans, there they discover the unique role that music has played for Estonians for over 150 years, as an integral force in maintaining strength and identity for a people who have faced cultural genocide — more than once.
From the filmmakers of the acclaimed "The Singing Revolution", the film reveals that for Estonians singing is not just a means of cultural expression but a defining part of their national identity.
- To Breathe as One full film (55:30 - English language version)
- Bonus: Three Teacher’s Guides for use in History, Language Arts, and Music classes
- Bonus: 6 editable mini-posters for promotion
- Bonus: 15 photos from film; 3 historical photos/painting
- Bonus: Full English-language transcript of Tiia Järg interview (Estonian expert on the history of Laulupidu)
- Bonus: Two full songs from the 2009 Laulupidu
- Bonus: Two rehearsal sessions of the Piedmont Children’s Choir
- Closed Captioning
- English subtitles only
For more information please visit singingrevolution.com
THIS DVD VERSION IS LICENSED FOR COLLEGE, UNIVERSITY, AND COMMUNITY PUBLIC SCREENINGS UNDER THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
- This DVD can only be shown on the property of the DVD purchaser.
- If no admission is charged, it can be shown to its membership unlimited times (i.e. formal college classes, club members, church congregations).
- No admission of any kind can be charged.
- Screenings can be publicized to the general public in the local community and shown up to 3 times per calendar year for up to 150 people per screening and for no admission charge. For information about licensing more than 3 public screenings a year or licensing a public screening to more than 150 people, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Not licensed for IP server applications. To register a license to stream from your central server, please contact email@example.com.